Back and Neck Pain
Physical Therapy For Back and Neck Pain in Corning, NY
Back and neck pain can be excruciating. It can also come on slowly, building up intensity as time goes on. Pain that comes on suddenly is referred to as acute pain. On the other hand, chronic pain is a category of pain that lasts for a duration of weeks, months, or even years. The discomfort might be constant or come and go. If you suffer from back and/or neck pain, you can get physical therapy treatment at Choice Physical Therapy in Corning, NY.
Our team of qualified physical therapists can guide you gently as you rehabilitate from acute or chronic back and neck pain. Whether your pain is due to an injury or a medical condition, we offer modern yet proven methods to alleviate or reduce pain associated with these two areas of the body.
At Choice Physical Therapy in Corning, NY, our objective is to help you get the most out of your life while reducing the experience of pain and suffering.
The sooner you seek physical therapy treatment for your back and/or pain, the more we can do to keep it from turning into a chronic condition.
What is Back and Neck Pain?
Back pain can range from a slight, dull ache to persistent, severe, and incapacitating aching. Back pain can make mobility challenging and can hinder the quality of life. It can keep you from doing something as minor as lifting a gallon of milk or sitting at your desk to do your work.
The cervical vertebrae in your neck are usually the source of neck pain and discomfort. The neck is a common area for pain because of its vulnerable position and the nearly constant movement. Neck pain can be as simple as a “stiff neck,” or it can be as debilitating as to cause complete immobility and secondary symptoms such as migraines.
Common Causes of Back and Neck Pain
Even with today’s technology, pinpointing the specific reason for back and neck pain can be challenging. Back and neck discomfort can be caused by a variety of one or more factors, including any of the following:
- Overuse, such as prolonged, vigorous exercise
- Incorrect use, such as repeated or heavy lifting with improper form
- Motion trauma, for example, whiplash
- Blunt force trauma, such as from a fall or sports impact
- Hairline fractures, such as from osteoporosis
- Excess stress on spine muscles and ligaments
- Vertebral degeneration, such as caused by aging
- Abnormal growth, such as a bone spur
- Excess weight
- Poor muscle tone
- Muscle spasms
- Tears in the ligaments or muscles
- Joint disorders, such as arthritis
- Pinched nerve
- Protruding or ruptured (slipped) disk
- Compression fractures with osteoporosis
- Congenital conditions
The good news is that the back and neck pain associated with these conditions is treatable by physical therapy.
Physical Therapy Treatment For Back and Neck Pain
Physical therapy treatment for back and neck pain may involve several different treatment options. They may include the following or something else, depending upon your individual circumstances and the nature of your back and/or neck pain:
- Systematic heat or cold therapy
- Guided stretching and flexing
- Guided weight-bearing exercise
- Prescription or non-prescription anti-inflammatory medication
- Prescription or non-prescription muscle relaxant medication
- Guided support via walkers, braces or support garments
- Pain injections
- Nerve block medications
- Patient education
If you’re suffering from back and/or neck pain and discomfort, physical therapy can help. Note that, unlike drastic surgical solutions, physical therapy is non-invasive. Our team of physical therapists in Corning, NY are well-trained in treating both chronic and acute back and neck pain caused by a wide range of issues.